At this point, I’m making an effort to consciously seek tasks I can do to cross things off my list. I’ve made a 1 pager of my list, and I always carry it with me.
…things I done.
45. Buy a new flat iron.
-On Tuesday, January 12, 2010 I bought a new flat iron. I’ve actually needed a new one for a VERY long time. Three years ago I bought one from my hair stylist at Visible Changes… it was a Paul Mitchell---best flat iron I’ve ever had.
Apparently, leaving it on while I’m at work all day--- not good. In all honesty, I’d really just forget to turn it off. I’d come home and there’d be light spots on my dresser from where it’d been heating all day. It eventually got an electrical short in the cord and in order for it to stay on, I’d have to jiggle the cord, flip it around, press it up against the wall….. a bunch or ridiculous stuff.
…I lived like that for almost 2 years!
When I got the new one, I was SUPER excited to demolish the box and do my hair. However, the flat iron didn’t work.
I got in the car and drove like a crazy person to exchange it. I’d waited almost 2 years for a new one- there was no way in hell I was going to wait even one more day.
I got there 4 minutes before the store closed.
…I take good care of my new baby- I even turn it off when I’m done using it.
64. Delete my Twitter account.
-On Thursday, January 14, 2010 I deleted my Twitter account. I fought the social networking push to join Twitter longer than most…but mainly b/c I didn’t understand the ‘@ replies.’
However; I do like the idea of being able to directly follow celebrities--- but Rev Run was getting on my nerves. I need inspiration maybe once a day- but once an hour! C’mon Rev, be like me---get off Twitter and do something productive w/your life!
73. Buy a new ‘Welcome’ mat.
-On Saturday, January 17, 2010 I bought a new Welcome mat…from Target. It’s super cute; I’ll have to post a picture. (I’m pretty Joe hates it though; the first thing he said when he got home was, “Did you have to buy a gay welcome mat?”) I guess I didn’t consider that the mat had to represent that the residents in the apartment were a man and a woman, vs. a ‘gay’ welcome mat that says, “hey- a bunch of college girls live here.” ….maybe I shouldn’t cross through this one just yet- I might still be in the market for a Welcome mat.
…if you ask me though, it’s better than the red ‘happy holidays’ mat that was out from early December- January 17th.
31.Not check FB @ work for an entire week.
-On Monday, January 25th; I began my week of being Facebook free. Today is the last day, and I couldn’t be more thrilled!
Without Facebook…work is literally just that- WORK. I’ve done my best to not even update my status (via text) while at work, but even that’s hard. I don’t want do update my status, b/c I don’t want someone to reply b/c I won’t be able to get on and reply back! It’s super annoying!
I never realized how often I’d take a 5 minute facebook break until recently. Apparently, it’s the first thing I do every morning--- even before checking my email- I check my Facebook. When I’m working… I’m really on my grind and working- but the second that I have to get on the internet for anything, I catch myself trying to type in Facebook. I only get as far as typing in ‘face…’ and then I stop.
As a general practice, I should be more like this every day. It’s forced me to really focus on getting my work done. Be that as it may; I’ve also realized that with the monotony of not taking a 5 minute break every 30 minutes or so—I’m extremely restless and don’t feel like working. My overall productivity decreases when I’m not taking short breaks. (Granted, I always get my work done, I just seem to be more enthused about actually doing it when I’ve had a few minutes of effortless downtime.)
Not to mention, I feel lost when I get home and have to catch up on almost 10 hours of the latest facebook happenings! I get the notices on my phone and email, but it’s not the same as actually LOGGING on.
(For instance, my cousin just tagged me in a video and now someone has just commented, “soooo hilarious !!!! I needed a good laugh today...THANKS!” WTF is going on?!? What video?!? I want to hilariously laugh also!!!!)
…at the beginning of the week, I thought that since I was already in the practice of making myself suffer, that this would be a good weekend to do ‘62. Go an entire weekend without using the internet or checking email.’
…..but I just got the 2nd video comment, "Derrick, that was funny. Those people were like!!! WTF. LOL"………………………..
that being said, this weekend will be filled with internet videos, lots of email and more Facebook than I can handle.

No comments:
Post a Comment